Monday, January 30, 2006

If I Saw You in Heaven

Would you know my name
If I saw you in heaven?
Will it be the same
If I saw you in heaven?
--Eric Clapton, "Tears in Heaven"
Last week I was asked a question about heaven. The questioner, still grieving the loss of his sister two years ago, was wondering what it would be like to see her again in the presence of Christ. He had been comforted by the thought that she was in a better place, he said, but that comfort was shaken by a conversation with other family members. They said it was not helpful to picture her with Jesus, because it would not really be her. She would not have her quirky personality, they said, and she would not be the silly, funny person they had known and loved.

I grieved at that picture of heaven.

Was Jesus less Himself in the Transfiguration, when He offered a glimpse of heaven on earth?

I don't know much about what it will be like to be in the presence of Christ. Most of the biblical images seem designed to say that it will be unfathomable, but it is hard to say much more than that. But I think we can say this: my friend's sister will not be less herself in heaven. Rather, she will be more herself than ever before.

As we are freed from the incurvature of the soul--the inward turn that moves us away from others and toward ourselves--we will love as we are loved. We will glorify God through the marvelous diversity of our personalities. Our senses will not be dulled, but heightened. Our passions will be magnified. Our delight will only increase.

Will it be the same if I saw you in heaven?
No. It will be better. It will all be better, and it will be all better.

Bob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home